Will Nokia's patent settlement with HTC mean good things for mobile communications stocks?
Just after Nokia (NOK) reported weak results in its core networking business, the company announced a patent settlement and collaboration deal with HTC. This boosted Nokia shares by 9.27% on the day. With the patent portfolio largely discounted by investors, what is this deal worth, and what will future ones bring to the company?
Nokia settles with HTC
Nokia said on February 7 that HTC will settle all patent litigations between the two companies. More importantly, the companies will collaborate on the patents each company owns. The dollar value was not disclosed, which suggests that investors who bought its shares after the dip in January will take profits.
It is anyone’s guess what the patent deal is actually worth, but the markets raised the market capitalization of Nokia by $400M.
Qualcomm (QCOM) is the largest digital communications company by market capitalization and trades at a forward P/E below that of Nokia (15 compared to 22). Juniper Networks (JNPR) and Motorola Solutions (MSI) have better revenue growth characteristics than Nokia in the networking space.
Investors with a longer time horizon may look forward to patent settlements with Google (GOOG) and Android. Traders who speculated on the IP settlement will leave their trade in the next few trading sessions, allowing long-horizon investors to allocate capital based on fundamentals. Nokia’s rally may lose steam due to profit taking, but future IP deals should give support for its shares. The start of a dividend plan by Nokia may give an additional boost.
Click on the interactive chart to view data over time.
&amp;amp;lt;p&amp;amp;gt;Your browser does not support iframes.&amp;amp;lt;/p&amp;amp;gt;
1. Nokia Corporation (NOK, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides Internet and digital mapping and navigation services worldwide. Market cap at $27.38B, most recent closing price at $7.66.
2. QUALCOMM Incorporated (QCOM, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Engages in the development, design, manufacture, and marketing of digital wireless telecommunications products and services. Market cap at $126.27B, most recent closing price at $74.41.
3. QUALCOMM Incorporated (JNPR, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides business and mission critical communication products and services for enterprise and government customers worldwide. Market cap at $16.73B, most recent closing price at $64.60.
4. QUALCOMM Incorporated (MSI, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides business and mission critical communication products and services for enterprise and government customers worldwide. Market cap at $16.73B, most recent closing price at $64.60.
5. Google Inc. (GOOG, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Google is the world's most popular search engine. Market cap at $392.92B, most recent closing price at $1,177.44.
(List compiled by Chris Lau. Information sourced from Zacks Investment Research.)
Use Kapitall's Tools: Looking for ways to analyze this list?
Use this article snapshot as a launch pad: Simply click on the links, and use Kapitall's tab navigation to browse through the data...
Analyze These Ideas: Getting StartedRead descriptions for all companies mentioned Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, FilingsNokia Inc. (NOK, Chart, Download SEC Filings) QUALCOMM Inc. (QCOM, Chart, Download SEC Filings) Juniper Networks, Inc. (JNPR, Chart, Download SEC Filings) Motorola Solutions, Inc. (MSI, Chart, Download SEC Filings) Google Inc. (GOOG, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.
Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC - a FINRA/SIPC member.