With earnings for many companies right around the corner, could these high stock prices go even further?
Earnings season is always an exciting time for traders. Some stocks surge, some stock fall, and overall it's just fun to do your analysis and place your bet. Last week Google (GOOG) reported earnings and the stock soared to over $1000 per share. Today, Netflix (NFLX) will be releasing a very anticipated earnings report.
Shares for Google and Netflix were trading at $1003 and $354, respectively, at the previous market close. These high stock prices may not be easy for some investors to stomach. But still investors get curious when shares of any company begin surging to record levels. We often bring you stocks under $5 or $10, but this time we wanted to take a look at some high stocks prices.
Read more from Kapitall: Deal or No Deal: 6 Stocks Under 5 Bucks With Buy Ratings
This led us to screen for companies with shares trading over $100. That's right, over $100.
Since winners are preferred over losers, we also screened for signs of healthy potential returns and growth prospects. We specifically limited our results to stocks with performance in the year-to-date over 10%, and an estimated earnings per share (EPS) for next year over 15%.
As part of our screen, Priceline.com Inc. (PCLN) came out on top with shares trading at $1087 at the previous close. The high stock price hasn't slowed it down as Priceline.com has been soaring this past year and looking to continue the trend into next year. The share's price target was recently upgraded by analysts at Susquehanna International Group to $1200.
MasterCard International (MA) is also part of our high stock price group. With shares trading at $717 at the last market close, the company is part of the top 10 highest priced shares. The company is focusing on some surprising emerging markets like Myanmar, where it is helping to move the country from an all-cash based economy to a plastic payment one.
A favorite provider of organic and free-range Mexican food, Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) is another company included in our high stock price screen. While the company recently beat revenue estimates, there are some challenges present as the company begins to experience higher costs. If Chipotle can control its expenses and increase its operating margin, investors could benefit nicely from revenue growth.
If Google is an attractive company because of what it does, then Chinese competitor Baidu Inc. (BIDU) could merit a look by investors. Chinese internet usage is only about 41% of the population right now. This means there could be serious long-term growth for China's largest search engine as more citizens come online. The company is successfully capturing the increasing mobile usage, but it has begun to lose market share to other search engines.
And although it might not be an environmentalist's favorite company, Monsanto Co. (MON) just barely made our screen with shares trading around $106 at the previous close. It is expected to grow its EPS next year by about 14% and is a market leader in GMO crops and pesticides. But investors should take note of a recent report linking agrochemicals to disease.
So are the high prices for these stocks justified? Will they go even higher? Tell us what you think.
Click on the interactive chart below to see one year returns over time.
&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;p&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;Your browser does not support iframes.&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;/p&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;
Do you invest in high priced stocks? Use the interactive list below to begin your own analysis.
1. Google Inc. (GOOG, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Builds products and provides services to organize information and make it universally accessible and useful. Market cap at $337.42B, most recent closing price at $1003.30.
Performance Year-to-Date at 42.98%.
EPS Growth for Next Year at 17.34%.
2. Netflix, Inc. (NFLX, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides subscription based Internet services for TV shows and movies in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $19.41B, most recent closing price at $354.99.
Performance Year-to-Date at 260.19%.
EPS Growth for Next Year at 122.26%.
3. priceline.com Incorporated (PCLN, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Operates as an online travel company providing hotel reservation services world wide. Market cap at $53.21B, most recent closing price at $1087.09.
Performance Year-to-Date at 68.97%.
EPS Growth for Next Year at 23.09%.
4. MasterCard Incorporated (MA, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides transaction processing and related services to customers principally in support of their credit, deposit access, electronic cash and automated teller machine payment card programs, and travelers' cheque programs. Market cap at $86.54B, most recent closing price at $717.84.
Performance Year-to-Date at 46.11%.
EPS Growth for Next Year at 17.43%.
5. Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (CMG, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Develops and operates fast-casual, fresh Mexican food restaurants in the United States. Market cap at $15.75B, most recent closing price at $509.25.
Performance Year-to-Date at 71.36%.
EPS Growth for Next Year at 22.20%.
6. Baidu, Inc. (BIDU, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides Chinese language Internet search services and search platform for businesses to reach customers. Market cap at $58.03B, most recent closing price at $161.21.
Performance Year-to-Date at 65.43%.
EPS Growth for Next Year at 25.49%.
7. Monsanto Co. (MON, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides agricultural products for farmers in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $56.48B, most recent closing price at $106.05.
Performance Year-to-Date at 13.47%.
EPS Growth for Next Year at 14.00%.
(List compiled by Antonio Alfonso. Analysts ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research, all other data sourced from Finviz. Original article pubished on 10/21/2013.)
Analyze These Ideas: Getting StartedRead descriptions for all companies mentioned Access a performance overview for all stocks in the list Compare analyst ratings for the companies mentioned Compare analyst ratings to annual returns for stocks mentioned Real-Time Opinion: Scan the latest tweets about these companies (feed will open in a new window)
Dig Deeper: Access Company Snapshots, Charts, FilingsGoogle Inc. (GOOG, Chart, Download SEC Filings) Netflix, Inc. (NFLX, Chart, Download SEC Filings) priceline.com Incorporated (PCLN, Chart, Download SEC Filings) MasterCard Incorporated (MA, Chart, Download SEC Filings) Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (CMG, Chart, Download SEC Filings) Baidu, Inc. (BIDU, Chart, Download SEC Filings) Monsanto Co. (MON, Chart, Download SEC Filings)
© Kapitall, Inc. All rights reserved. Kapitall Wire is a division of Kapitall, Inc. Kapitall Generation, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Kapitall, Inc.
Kapitall Wire offers free cutting edge investing ideas, intended for educational information purposes only. It should not be construed as an offer to buy or sell securities, or any other product or service provided by Kapitall Inc., and its affiliate companies.
Open a free account today get access to virtual cash portfolios, cutting-edge tools, stock market insights, and a live brokerage platform through our affiliated company, Kapitall Generation, LLC.
Securities products and services are offered by Kapitall Generation, LLC - a FINRA/SIPC member.